I’m back on schedule with my retro gaming. Day 4 was all about Virtua Racing for the Sega Genesis or Mega Drive if you prefer. Primitive polygons and an oddly shaped cartridge can’t keep me away from this intense racer.
Continuing in true form I wasn’t all that great at placing or even finishing the races that I played. The best I did was 4th and in the video that I’ve uploaded I slipped down to 8th place on the expert track.
Earlier in the day I played some more against Usagi704. The game this time was Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 via Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. In video recorded by him, it sounds like fun, but overall it wasn’t. I had to crack jokes otherwise I think I would’ve been bored. It’s not like I don’t joke around at other times anyway. If I play anymore fighting games they’ll have to be known good ones instead of known bad ones. Maybe Gundam Wing W: Endless Duel on SNES. I had some fun a week or so ago with that game.
RETRO GOODNESS FROM OTHER PARTICIPANTS
* Usagi704 shows the head-to-head battle against me in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.
* dr4cul4 shows skill in Demon’s Crest.
Duke Nukem: Time To Kill looks to be the target game for Day 5. Retro rules!
I was on twitter during the whole conference throwing out my thoughts. Here’s a straight copy and paste of what I had said. Mind the language if that’s not your thing.
* [Jack] Tretton names off a few games [at the start] getting Heavy Rain the most cheers.
* I like your stuff, Sony. But could you avoid the same gloating that Nintendo does? It’d be nice.
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
* The action is hot and heavy early on with Uncharted 2!
MAG (Massive Action Game)
* [The] crazy idea of MAG up now to show gameplay as Tretton said.
* MAG demo was a little dry for sure. 256 players at once is impressive, but I’ll never be able to really appreciate it right now.
Assassin’s Creed: Bloodlines
* Assassin’s Creed [on PSP] gets a subtitle.
* Hannah Montana PSP bundle gets a cheer? WTF?
* Haz Hirai just announced the PSP Go as the worst kept secret. That’s putting it lightly.
* Wow! The PSP Go is amazingly small! 50% smaller; 40% lighter.
* PSP games aren’t going to be just download. They’ll be for both UMD and download! That’s great for me!
* Gran Turismo time. This round it’s on the PSP.
* PSP Go is way too expensive at $249.99 on October 1st. Best PSP to date is still the 2000 model.
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
* Kojima’s a busy man. First Microsoft’s conf. and at Sony’s with Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. Takes place 10 yrs. after MGS3. * MGS teaser site showed Raiden for Raising and Big Boss for Peace Walker. Kojima loves all consoles. (lol)
Resident Evil Portable
* Resident Evil getting a PSP release.
* Hannah Montana on PSP got a cheer again. What’s that audience smoking?
* Jack Tretton brings the gloat train back. Home isn’t that great and should be placed on the down-low for conf.
* I’ll always not care about this place called Home as much as Sony wants me to.
Final Fantasy VII
* Just in case anybody is confused, Final Fantasy VII that was announced is the PS1 game for PSN and not a remake.
* Okay Sony, enough with the damn montages already. They’re like James Cameron’s Ubisoft talk. Long and fairly boring.
* Montage already over? C’mon Sony that was too short. (lol)
* Rockstar is kind enough to give the new game Agent all to the PS3.
Assassin’s Creed II
* What’s the name of the main character in Assassin’s Creed again? It sounded like a bunch of gibberish. (lol)
* Great demo. Too bad Agent didn’t get anything other than its announcement.
Final Fantasy XIV Online
* First footage of Final Fantasy Versus XIII up now. Oh, wait, it’s footage of Final Fantasy XIV! There’s your surprise!
* Oh it’s another online version of the series. Nevermind.
Prototype motion controller compatible with the PlayStation Eye
* Gawd damn it! PS3 now has it’s own waggle wand.
* This demo is SUCH a buzzkiller. More proof that I’m not a fanboy. Sony can suck too. Just not in the amount that people think.
* No! Stop clapping! This totally sucks ass!
* Please take that sword, make it real, and kill yourself.
* Jack, please make that NOT a part of your system’s future.
* ModNation Racers looks like a cart racing game with cute Sackboy sized characters. I’m still buzzkilled over here.
* Don’t lie to me. You are NOT using the full power of the PS3. Maybe the Wii, but not PS3.
* Creating races does look really easy unlike LittleBigPlanet so that’s a plus.
The Last Guardian
* New Trico trailer being shown. Title of the game is now The Last Guardian.
* So cute! I want my own giant pet too! (lol)
God of War III
* Hell yeah! God of War III right now, brother!
* Nothing really to say about the gameplay demo. It’s God of War and it’s sweet!
* The quick time event on-screen buttons are oddly at the sides of the screen.
* March 2010 release date kind of sucks.