I didn’t catch Nintendo’s conference live last Tuesday morning. However, I did watch it from start to finish as if it was live and have those comments below. Enjoy.
* Countdown control 4, 3, 2, 1. Here’s Reggie.
* Technology is ONLY a tool as the experience comes first. Thanks for that lesson teacher.
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD
* Trailer for newest Zelda game is brief and doesn’t show me anything that we haven’t already seen before.
* Miyamoto in video talking about the new Zelda game.
* Motion Plus will be used in game which goes back to the stage for a gameplay demo.
* Miyamoto appears on stage, to the delight of the crowd, to explain the controls. You’d think that the controls will be roughly the same from the previous game.
* This gameplay demo is quite longer than I expected. I don’t see why since the game can’t be that different from the last one.
* Apparently wireless devices in the crowd are interfering with the game’s controls. That amuses me on some level. :P
* Their apologies for not doing more of the demo because of the wireless problems also amuses me.
* Universal appealing sports games? Madden? No. NBA Jam? You bet!
MARIO SPORTS MIX
* Trailer showing new Mario sports game. I can’t say I’ve ever been interested in such things.
* It’s Mario Sports Mix obviously “mixing it up” with many sports.
* Annual sales gloating time. Reggie claims that casual Wii owners do buy games and play more than the other two systems. I can’t see how they really know that.
* Look! Exactly what the Wii needs more of. Mini-games. *sigh*
GOLDEN SUN: DARK DAWN
* Trailer for new Golden Sun DS game for those RPG lovers out there.
* Golden has a different meaning? What’s that?
* GoldenEye returns on Wii with multiplayer. I don’t consider the original amazing as many do so my excitement in null.
* Warren Spector out on stage to show off Epic Mickey. Epic? We’ll see.
* Painting is EPIC! Doesn’t sound interesting. Also looks like Mickey pisses on things to erase them. (lol)
* The Steamboat Willie 2D level reminds me of the first level in David Jaffe’s first game Mickey Mania.
KIRBY’S EPIC YARN
* Image of Kirby on screen. New game? Why yes. First time on consoles in seven years.
* This game has a very different look. Hey! Kirby needs to be filled in. :P
* Yarn is EPIC! My grandmother never told me that. (lol)
DRAGON QUEST IX: SENTINELS OF THE STARRY SKIES
* Reggie says it’s also EPIC! There’s too much of that going around Nintendo.
* July 11th release date.
METROID: OTHER M
* Gameplay trailer now showing. Looks good. I’m sort of a fan of the series.
* Released Aug. 31st.
DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS
* Donkey Kong Country looks to have a new game. Some sound effects even sound the same.
* Crowd liked that announcement. I’m not all that interested.
* Reggie doesn’t like those damn 3D glasses. (lol)
* It looks like heaven brought us the 3DS seen on stage. Oh wait it was just Satoru Iwata. *sigh of relief* I thought I was going to have to start believing again. (lol)
* Widescreen on top and standard screen on bottom.
* Choose all 3D or no 3D effect. That I like.
* Graphics are improved? How? Analog stick also added like PSP has.
* Photos in 3D. I’m not sure why I’d need that.
* 3D movies on 3DS. Didn’t movies fail on PSP? I remember hearing that being the case from somewhere.
KID ICARUS: UPRISING
* Pit apologizes at start of trailer for keeping fans waiting for a new game. He should be ashamed! (lol)
* It actually looks like fun unlike any of the previous games.
* Iwata says that the 3DS communicates with other systems without your knowledge. Do you know what this means? Nintendo is selling sentient game machines! Run for your life! (lol)
* Several third-party 3DS games were announced. Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid got the biggest cheers.
I gotta say that I was…wait for it…impressed. For as many missteps as I feel Nintendo takes I can safely say that this conference wasn’t one of them. Most of the games shown were unknown which was nice though only Metroid: Other M caught my interest slightly for Wii. The 3DS looks hot (in red) and the ability to turn off the 3D effects is very welcome. I haven’t ruled out getting the system like I originally thought I would. Kid Icarus: Uprising was the best game of the conference.